.

........................................................................................................................................................Now in Mahone Bay Nova Scotia.

Saturday, November 30, 2013

My "Escape" quilt

My latest challenge quilt, prepared with the theme "escape" in mind..
This was a rather fun piece for me. It is a self portrait at 10 years of age. References include a menagerie of much loved characters such as Stormy Misty's Foal, Kavik the Wolf Dog and cast members of Peterson's field guides to birds, insects, reptiles and amphibians.  
... Ahh life is good.
Perched on my shoulder is what was my ever constant companion, a hand-raised starling named Chicken Hawk.
Today I live with yet another orphaned starling named Birdy and I still love to escape into books. Not much has changed really!

Hand drawing (portrait)
as well as photo transfer for the starling, frog, butterflies and wolf.
Hand and machine stitching.
Prisma color pencil and textile medium throughout.

With special thanks to Laura Kemshall who taught me that sketching is not just for paper.















To see more escape quilts visit our international creative challenge group: Latitude Quilts





01 09 10